Daisypath Ticker

10/22/2007

Right Brain/Left Brain

I finished reading the first three chapters of the book A Whole New Mind and it was very interesting although most of the general left brain/right brain stuff I'd heard before. Having majored in Early Childhood Education at TU I really got a lot of learning theories and all of that. So left brain/right brain isn't new nor is multiple intelligence, which I actually did a research paper on at one point. The book A Whole New Mind though with its focus on how right brain might come to play a better indicator in job security was very interesting.
The whole left brain/right brain makes me think of my future in-laws. My fiance is in the computer field working at a help desk and majoring in Computer Information Systems at TU. He also has decent people skills and so his right brain isn't left unused. His older brother however is very, very intelligent but his people skills are very much lacking. He has the right skills to work in the computer field but he doesn't interview or deal with people very well. So he's been working in a bagel shop. He's definitely using primarily his left brain. Their other two biological siblings use more of their right brains. His younger brother is and English major and always has had lots of friends. His youngest sister wants to be a music major and plays a variety of instruments. In his family it seems to go from very much left brained to much more right brained as they go down the line. Its very interesting. His father is in the computer field and his mother is a seamstress and very artistic. My fiance's nephew is only five months old but showing signs of being left handed so I'm guessing he's going to be one of the more creative ones.
I think some left brain jobs will be kept around in the United States because help desks and such can only do so much from across the ocean. We need people who can go out and fix the computers in person and those people can't be in India. Although I do see the demand for more right brain people then before as our society progresses. But I don't think it'll ever be a "well your left brained so I don't think you have much hope for ever having a decent job" or anything. Which it sounded like the author was projecting in the distant future.

No comments: