Daisypath Ticker

7/11/2007

Library 2.0

I think library 2.0 is a very good idea. The world is changing and of course libraries should change with it and embrace modern technology to its fullest. However I think most libraries are already doing this and eagerly embracing this philosophy and moving forward as fast as they can to better serve patrons. At least this seems to me what we're doing in Carroll County and while I know all libraries are different I don't understand why a library wouldn't want to use all the new technology since it makes life so much easier!
However I also think some of the suggestions of ways that a library can become a Library 2.0 are expensive, require a lot of staff training and in some cases an overhaul of the system. These things will take time for libraries to make the changes and for patrons to adapt to them. I think there are exceptionally high expectations for how many changes libraries should make in such a short period of time. While I think we should be working towards Library 2.0 as fast as we can some things such as using RSS to catalog records isn't going to happen overnight. Also patrons have be to be ready for the new technology while using instant messenger to notify some patrons would be a great idea for other patrons doing so would be impossible.
So while I like the idea of Library 2.0 I don't think it needs to happen overnight. But I think that's OK because its the philosophy behind Library 2.0 is what makes it so great. The idea of embracing technology and breaking down previous barriers to make libraries more user friendly is a wonderful one and should be used by libraries all over. All the various technology will be integrated at some point but for right now I think a open prospective to changes and working hard to utilize technology is a good place to start.

No comments: